Pullman

Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk
Wed Mar 20 03:51:09 EST 2002

Just a brief comment inserted into the debate.

I've not read The Amber Spyglass yet - I have borrowed a copy but it is in the
queue behind (at least) Tanith Lee's The Dragon Hoard, which arrived yesterday
:-) - so I haven't read the messages with spoilers for all three books.  Also my
own views are formed only from the first two.

It seems to me that Pullman has quite correctly identified a lot that is wrong
with organised religion in general, and some Christian churches in particular.
I loved his caricature in Lyra's world of a Church in which Calvin had become
Pope!

But he then goes on to blame God for this.  Most explicitly when one of the
witches (possibly the one whom John Parry had rebuffed?) was musing on the cause
of those out to kill God, and concluded that the cause was just on the basis of
the oppression that the Church had committed.

Now I don't see how it could be morally satisfying for either a Christian or an
Atheist to blame God for the sins of the Church (much less the God of several
worlds for the sins of the Church in one of them).  A Christian should know
better, and an Atheist shouldn't have that option.

Just my two penn'orth.

Philip.  (A Christian, but neither a Calvinist nor a Papist)

permission is prohibited.

Powergen Group.

Power Technology:
Telephone	+44 (0) 115 936 2000
Fax		+44 (0) 115 936 2711
E-mail          techinfo at powertech.co.uk
www		http://www.powertech.co.uk

Registered in England and Wales No: 2366970