My Summary (Long)

Gross Family argross at bigpond.net.au
Sun Mar 17 00:52:15 EST 2002

Kyra, thanks so much for this! I very much enjoyed reading it.

The very weird events and characters DWJ describes in that village she spoke
about couldn't help reminding me of that very twisted and funny British
comedy series "The League of Gentlemen" (not to be confused with the book
with a similar title--an interesting co-incidence occurred when Melissa was
talking about that book and my daughter directed my attention to the
series!). It's set in an English town called Royston Vasey, which could
almost have been inspired by the village DWJ mentions...The series is
entirely bizarre, surrealistic and definitely disturbing (to me, anyway) at
times, and seems to me to portray British eccentricity taken to its most
extreme and insane limits.

I find it hilarious, but at times, as I said, it portrays stuff that I find
unbearably sad and disturbing. Then again, as I've mentioned before, I can
be a real wimp. :-)

Ros