DWJ's Faults [now has Deep Secret spoilers, oh no it doesn't))

Ven vendersleighc at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 15 18:00:55 EST 2002

Ania wrote

> . Prat is a fabulous
> > word, also.
> >
> Slightly OT, do you know that there is actually

a village in Kent called
> Pratt's Bottom? I wonder what the origin of
this place-name is...

My dictionary says that "prat" mean's the
buttocks, and it's origin is unknown. I wonder if
it could have been used to mean a dip, or bottom
place. Then, could there have been someone called

"Prat(t)" after the place where they lived, whose
family name stayed attached when people started
calling it a "bottom".

Did I ever mention the Hyacinth Bucket type form
my home town who pronounced her name
"Siddy-bottAM", when it was clearly spelt
Sidebotham.

=====
Ven