revered authors

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Fri Mar 15 15:17:16 EST 2002

Ania said...

> > > I meant Discworld the novel, not the whole series.
> >
> > You mean a novel *called* _Discworld_? There isn't one, at least
not
> > by Terry Pratchett.
> >
> > Are you perhaps thinking of _Strata_?
> >

> > Paul
> I have no idea, then. The first one? I thought it was called
Discworld. It
> was years ago. I also read Wyrd Sisters, that was OK, but a third
book
> (whatever that was) just did not grab me. I tried again once or
twice, but
> gave up.

The first one is called "The Colour of Magic".  IMO, it's not very
good.  In fact, I don't think the series really takes off until "Mort"
and (more so) "Wyrd Sisters".  They get even better further on.

ISTR you started reading a Pratchett..."Lords & Ladies",
maybe?...while you were staying with me.  You certainly didn't yell to
take it away with you!

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--
Dorian E. Gray
israfel at eircom.net

"Where-e'er you find 'the cooling western breeze,'
In the next line, it 'whispers through the trees':
If crystal streams 'with pleasing murmurs creep,'
The reader's threaten'd (not in vain) with 'sleep'"
-Alexander Pope, "Essay on Criticism"