Pullman

Ian W. Riddell iwr77 at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 15 14:48:30 EST 2002

>From: "Ania" <theania at freeuk.com>
>To: <dwj at suberic.net>
>Subject: Re: Pullman
>Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 17:38:22 -0000
>
>Robyn:
> > I thought this was a metaphor or allegory for the way that established
> > churches grow up and obscure the original deity with more human concerns
> > like ambition and heirarchy. Kind of like Pratchett in Small Gods.
>No, no no. He had a go at the corruption and evil in the church separately
>and quite explicitly. The God stuff was a criticism of the whole idea of
>religion, not just of the church.
>Ania

I don't think it was a criticism of the whole idea of religion - I think it
was a criticism of a certain kind of hierarchical religion and a religion
based on punishment and obedience.

I, for one, was thrilled to read a story that allowed that young adult
readers are sophisticated enough to deal with matters of great import - both
politically and spiritually. While the third book did not deliver all that I
hoped for, it certainly aimed very high and it gets a lot of credit in my
mind for that.

I will certainly re-read these books often and pass them on to children I
know when they are old enough.

Ian
(who was thoroughly spooked and breathless when Lyra and Will entered the
land of the dead and did what they had to do to get there)