Pullman

Alex alex.mb at zoo.co.uk
Fri Mar 15 12:43:14 EST 2002

The lauding of experience is, I believe a postive thing. We find it
difficult because we can cope with our own loss of innocence but can't cope
with that of children. This is despite the growing experience of the world
being entirely natural. It's about choice too. You can't make moral choices
when you are innocent as you are chosing unswervingly based on your lack of
knowledge. Knowledge both empowers and destroys. It is dangerous but using
it wisely is true goodness because it is chosen goodness rather than being
instinctive. This goes back to Milton I suppose. Goodness is a very
frightening theme in Pullman as you can nevr feel sure that a character is
good - even Lyra is flawed and quite dislikeable at first - she seemed
almost feral. By the end, she chooses rightly but that is because of what
she learned.

I loved the God stuff to though I found it disturbing - my take on it was
that Pullman had decided our view of God was corrupt and decadent. He leaves
it to us to determine whether the figure in the book is God or not but
certainly he is questiong our conception of the God figure.

I hope this makes sense - just been teaching all week and have lost all
power of reason.

Alex