Pullman

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Fri Mar 15 12:14:15 EST 2002

>>>Philip Pullman (although I disagree with his worldview, since he has an
>>>excellent grasp of twisted "christianity" but seems to have no concept of
>>>the real thing),
>>
>>Wow.  You have no idea how impressed I am by that succinct
>>description of your reaction to PP.
>
>I don't really want to get into a major religious debate, but it
>seemed to me that Pullman's world view was quite similar to that of
>the authors he borrowed from so heavily - Blake and Milton, and I
>don't see how either of them is "twisted" christianity. I had a
>fairly christian education (broadened by extensive study of medieval
>literature), and I'm puzzled by what is meant by this comment. Can
>someone elucidate?

I won't even try to answer this completely, as the comment wasn't
mine.  I freely admit to being fairly ignorant about Blake and
Milton, but do have to wonder if it's possible to have a world view
similar to both.  Milton, afaik, was a devout, "traditional"
Christian, and Paradise Lost was a straight retelling of the story of
the Fall.  I think it was from about 1800 on, and in the Romantic
period that some people began to see a different possible reading of
PL, in which God was a tyrannical figure, and so Satan was the hero
for rebelling against this tyranny.

Blake - well, I'd hate to have to describe his views in one sentence,
even if I knew more about them, but it was my understanding that he
was one of those who believed in this reinterpretation of the story
of the Fall.

As I said, this is just my understanding.  And some more posts have
come in which explain Pullman's views more anyway.

Hallie.