Pullman

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Fri Mar 15 12:17:34 EST 2002

Kyla:

>I believe <whoever it was--Philip?> was referring to the rather nasty,
>unpleasant view of God (or "God," possibly) put forth by Pullman, with the
>enslaving/lying/other-things-I-can't-remember-since-it's-been-9-months-since-I-read-the-books
>actions He does. It made me feel quite ooky. Plus, there was all the wacky
>stuff about virginity and innocence and...basically, I really loved these
>books and was hugely impressed by them, until my other sci-fi discussion
>list brought up all sorts of interesting points/problems which I hadn't
>considered. And then I felt ooky.

I think this is somewhat similar to my/Becca's responses.  I read the
first one to her and we were both really impressed, though I was a
bit worried about the references to "the Church", especially as my
half-brother is a canon in Oxford.  Then we read the second one, and
I loved  bits of it even more, and found more that made me feel
uneasy - not just things relating to religion, btw.  Then I read a
bit more about Pullman's views and started putting it all together.
Becca borrowed the third one and read it, and I think "ooky" is a
good description of how she felt.  I haven't read it, though I might
some day.  Trust for reading opinions/responses goes two ways around
here.  Happily.

What's your other discussion list?  I should *not* even ask - but I am.  :)

Hallie.