revered authors

Jenny Holmstrom isidunil at yahoo.se
Fri Mar 15 08:11:57 EST 2002

 --- Ania <theania at freeuk.com> skrev: > Sticking to the
fantasy stuff, and in no particular
> order...
> DWJ (naturally)
> Philip Pullman
> Julian May (do reread it, whoever was thinking about it!)

I haven't read any... another one to add to my list...

> Angela Carter (She's 'proper' lit, but her stuff is
> largely fantasy)

And A.C as well...

> Katherine Kerr

A great seri, I agree, but I've trouble waiting in between
the books... Oh, once I read a SF kind of, written by her,
quite different from the other books I've read written by
her (The Deverry seri). She wrote it together with a Mark
Kreighbaum. Anyone reckon his namne? Read anything else by
him?
Anyway, the book was called "Pallace".

> Neil Gaiman

Ah, yes, I do agree. The Sandman seri is superb. I wasn't
that fond of "Stardust" even though it was good writing...
But it was good enough for me to buy the paper back
version... but I do like his short stories, those ones
collected in "Smoke and Mirrors". I haven't read American
Gods yet; it's on my to-read-list.

> Astrid Lindgren
> Tove Jansson

These authors are really great, I do agree. Were, that
is... Unfortunately, both are dead.

> And one or two 'most detested/unreadable'
> (This time in order!)
> Stephen Donaldson

Well, I've heard some rumours about his way of writing, but
actually, I've also heard they are better in Swedish... The
translator took away some of the strangest
metaphors/similes.

> Stephen Lawhead

Haven't heard of him...

> Robert Jordan

Why? Well, I admit the seri is loooooong and it's not fun
waiting in between the books... You get tired of him just
by waiting...

Regards
Jenny

=====