Do you know these books?

Jenny Holmstrom isidunil at yahoo.se
Fri Mar 15 07:43:43 EST 2002

 --- "Rowland, Jennifer A B" <jennifer.rowland at ic.ac.uk>
skrev: > Sallyo wrote:

> > She writes two totally different styles. Rather yuck
> black
> > comedies for kids (fantasy) and delightful romances for
> adults.
>
> But good yuck, surely? The Cloud of Flies, say, or her
> headless ghosts are
> icky, but not nasty. Her baddies are really rotten
> people, but often not
> supernatural.
>
> > Ah yes, I have that one! Not one of her best - I forgot
> > add Mahy to the list of favourite fantasy sf writers
> today. Her Changeover
> is
> > one of the very best fantasies I've read. How *did* I
> forget it?
>
> AOL! Her childrens' stories are lovely as well, The
> Downhill Crocodile
> Whizz, Raging Robots and Unruly Uncles, the one about the
> girl with the
> green ear... (I also love The Catalogue of the Universe,
> which is YA,
> "realistic" but feels like fantasy to me.) A lot of her
> stuff, including
> Changeover, seems to be OOP at the moment, which is truly
> daft. You can get
> it from bookfinder.com quite cheap, but I was looking for
> a new copy for a
> present. Oh well, secondhand is much better than not
> getting it.
> Is she Australian or NZer?
> Jennifer

I'm going through my e-mail, trying to catch up. You're
writing SO much in such a little time!
Margaret Mahy is from NZ, and I think she's a really good
author! I love many of her children's books, both the
realistic ones and the fantasy ones, and there's a whole
bunch of books translated into Swedish, so they're easy to
get hands upon at the library for example.

Regards
Jenny

=====