Pullman

Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at ic.ac.uk
Fri Mar 15 05:10:47 EST 2002

Kyla wrote:
> I believe <whoever it was--Philip?> was referring to the rather nasty,
> unpleasant view of God (or "God," possibly) put forth by
> Pullman, with the
enslaving/lying/other-things-I-can't-remember-since-it's-been-
> 9-months-since-I-read-the-books actions He does. It made me feel quite
ooky.

I read it as being God- not being a beliver, this didn't bother me- but I
have since read a reviewer who thought "The Authority" was Satan, who had
managed to overthrow God at the beginning, and Will and Lyra were putting
things to rights- the reviewer was saying how morally satisfying the books
were to a Christian! I haven't reread the books since I saw this, so I'm not
sure how convinced I am.
Jennifer