Pullman

Kyla Tornheim kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Thu Mar 14 22:22:18 EST 2002

On Thu, 14 Mar 2002, Robyn Starkey wrote:
> >>Philip Pullman (although I disagree with his worldview, since he has an
> >>excellent grasp of twisted "christianity" but seems to have no concept of
> >>the real thing),
> >
> >Wow.  You have no idea how impressed I am by that succinct description of
> >your reaction to PP.
>
> I don't really want to get into a major religious debate, but it seemed to
> me that Pullman's world view was quite similar to that of the authors he
> borrowed from so heavily - Blake and Milton, and I don't see how either of
> them is "twisted" christianity. I had a fairly christian education
> (broadened by extensive study of medieval literature), and I'm puzzled by
> what is meant by this comment. Can someone elucidate?
I believe <whoever it was--Philip?> was referring to the rather nasty,
unpleasant view of God (or "God," possibly) put forth by Pullman, with the
enslaving/lying/other-things-I-can't-remember-since-it's-been-9-months-since-I-read-the-books
actions He does. It made me feel quite ooky. Plus, there was all the wacky
stuff about virginity and innocence and...basically, I really loved these
books and was hugely impressed by them, until my other sci-fi discussion
list brought up all sorts of interesting points/problems which I hadn't
considered. And then I felt ooky.