Names, Was: Hexwood's Goon

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Thu Mar 14 18:05:47 EST 2002

Chris said...

> > Sallyo. (BTW, my granny wanted to name me "Bridget". I rather wish
it had
> > happened. It's a younger name than Sally.)
>
> I called my daughter Brigid  after a good friend - then discovered
how many
> spellings there are of the same name!

Round here, "Brigid" is the spelling associated with the pagan
goddess, while "Bridget" is usually associated with the Christian
saint.  The former, btw, is normally pronounced BRIG-id with a hard G.

> BTW the diminutive is Bridie I think

That's a common diminutive, yes.  Others are Bride and Bridgie (the
latter usually with the "Bridget" spelling).

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--
Dorian E. Gray
israfel at eircom.net

"Where-e'er you find 'the cooling western breeze,'
In the next line, it 'whispers through the trees':
If crystal streams 'with pleasing murmurs creep,'
The reader's threaten'd (not in vain) with 'sleep'"
-Alexander Pope, "Essay on Criticism"