Re Names, was re Hexwood's, Goon

Caleb W SCWoody423 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 14 13:02:38 EST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dorian E. Gray" <israfel at eircom.net>
To: <dwj at suberic.net>
Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2002 7:29 PM
Subject: Re: Re Names, was re Hexwood's, Goon

> Sallyo said...
> >
> > Sounds like the skedule/ shed-ule debate! And the Feb-rue-erry /
> Feb - u -
> > arry / Febry controversy... er conTROVersy or is that CON-trov-ersy.
>
> FWIW (2 EuroCents, I suppose), I say SHED-yule (because I speak
> German, mainly), FEB-ru-arry (because that's how it's spelt), and
> CON-trov-ersy.  Now you know. :-)
>
> > And how *does* one say Howell? How-well?  Howl? (Oblig. DWJ ref.)
>
> I say HOW-ell (with a very short, almost schwa, second vowel).  But
> I'm not Welsh, so what do I know?

Having narrowly escaped a school inter-house rugby tournament yesterday, I
can be fairly definitive on the pronounciation of "Hywel" since that is my
house. It's said "Hu-WELL", although "Howell" is an anglicisation, and there
is also North Walian and South Walian dialects which are different (I speak
the Northern version).

Caleb W.