Deep Secret ( Was Re: On Being a Hot Babe (was Re: Hexwood --Catchup)

Thu Mar 14 14:07:03 EST 2002

On Wed, 13 Mar 2002 21:03:13 +0800 (WST), Paul Andinach wrote:

>On Tue, 12 Mar 2002, Melissa Proffitt wrote:
>
>> Say you divide readers into very rough groups of Good Childhood
>> and Bad Childhood, and assume that the main character is the one
>> the reader's meant to identify with.  (After reading _The
>> Biographer's Tale_ I have trouble using that phrase with a
>> straight face, but never mind.)
>
>The what?

Did anyone read _Possession_ by A.S. Byatt?  _The Biographer's Tale_ is
another book she wrote recently.  It's about a guy who decides to write a
biography of the ultimate biographer.  Overall I'm afraid I had the same
lukewarm reaction as I did to _Possession_, but there are bits and pieces
that are just superb.  In the opening, the main character is sitting in a
class or a lecture or something, and starts thinking about how new
university students, particularly young women, are always writing papers
about how they "identify" with Jane Eyre or Cathy from _Wuthering Heights_
or such.  It was funny and painfully embarrassing.  I've gotten over it.  :)

And Paul, were you the one talking about _The Count of Monte Cristo_?  I
have been reading the Robin Buss unabridged translation and have learned the
following:

1. In high school, we read a REALLY good abridgement.

2. I will never again be able to read the abridged version because the full
version is wonderful.

3. No matter how many times I put it down to read something else, whenever I
come back to it, I'm hooked again.

Melissa Proffitt