revered authors

Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk
Thu Mar 14 10:46:25 EST 2002

OK, I seem to have a couple of minutes free in which to write my revered authors
contribution.

I'm going to ignore the guidelines, I'm afraid, because I don't think my list
makes sense with them in place.

DWJ is atm the only author whose books I buy in hardback as soon as they're
published.

in the process of upgrading my collection to hardback, but I usually only
upgrade when the paperback is falling to bits, or I see a cheap copy of the
first edition, etc.

Tanith Lee is another revered author, but only for a small section of her
output.  So I don't go rushing off to buy her latest book every few months
either.

Mary Stewart is also a favourite.  I like "The Little Broomstick" best
(children's Fantasy), but I like her romances better than her Arthurian
fantasies.

Only then do I get onto authors like Connie Willis, Alan Dean Foster (love his
SF, not so keen on his fantasy), Clifford Simak, Fritz Leiber, Julian May and so
on.  (I have also recently discovered Bujold, and I expect she'll become a
revered author when I've read a few more of her books.)

On the subject of other people's revered authors, Pratchett seems to come up a
lot.  I was put off Pratchett when my brother discovered the Discworld books as
a teenager, and started re-telling episodes over the dinner table.  Finding
extracts in books of short stories didn't help.  However, I read "The Dark Side
of the Sun" the other day, and did enjoy it.  It reads so like early Piers
Anthony, though, that once or twice I found myself thinking it was actually by
PA.  So I may try Good Omens (I've never read any Gaiman), but I fear that I
shan't enjoy the Discworld books now that I'm no longer a Xanth fan :-)

Philip.

permission is prohibited.

Powergen Group.

Power Technology:
Telephone	+44 (0) 115 936 2000
Fax		+44 (0) 115 936 2711
E-mail          techinfo at powertech.co.uk
www		http://www.powertech.co.uk

Registered in England and Wales No: 2366970