translations (was: Re: Library hold policy (was Re: freedom and necessity))

Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk
Thu Mar 14 10:45:13 EST 2002

>> Is sweater also used in
>> England? I'd always
>> thought jumper was the British term.

"The ethnic garment showed no signs of jumping"?  I don't think that phrase was
changed in the US edition, although I don't think I've quoted it very
accurately!  OTOH the US edition of SWM appeared several years before the UK
one...

> I think they're pretty much interchangeable at the
> moment - though to me, a 'sweatshirt' is made of that
> fleecy cotton material, a 'jumper' is knitted, and a
> 'jersey' is a knitted jumper from one of the Channel
> Islands...

Interesting.  To me, Sweater, Jumper and Jersey are all interchangeable terms
for a long-sleeved woollen pullover, although I do accept that Jersey probably
refers to a particular insular style of knitting (like the "Arran Sweater" from
an island at the other end of GB).  Sweatshirt, OTOH, is a long-sleeved T-shirt,
but may be made of thicker cloth than a T-shirt.

The wartime (1943?) edition of the Manual of Seamanship (UK Royal Navy), in
discussing uniforms, uses Jumper and Jersey for quite different garments.  I
think Jersey is a sweater, but Jumper resembles a football shirt.

>> (Question: people who use the term "jumper" to refer
>> to those warm wooly
>> tops one wears in the winter: what do you call a
>> skirt with an apron top,
>> or a sleeveless dress with really big armholes such
>> that you need to wear
>> another shirt under it?)
>
> A pinafore. Or pinny, like Mrs Tiggywinkle.
> Or an apron dress, I suppose...

A Pinafore (Pinny for short) and a Pinnafore Dress respectively, but I've no
idea if I'm right :-)

Incidentally, I think the books often are translated into American for the US
market - remember the yellow crisp packet in the Hexwood discussion which had
become a pretzel bag in the US editions?  Translations from American into
British are much rarer, I think.

Philip.

permission is prohibited.

Powergen Group.

Power Technology:
Telephone	+44 (0) 115 936 2000
Fax		+44 (0) 115 936 2711
E-mail          techinfo at powertech.co.uk
www		http://www.powertech.co.uk

Registered in England and Wales No: 2366970