contrived romantic pairings(Was Re: DWJ's Faults

Jenny Holmstrom isidunil at yahoo.se
Thu Mar 14 09:43:29 EST 2002

 --- Irina Rempt <irina at calcifer.valdyas.org> skrev: > On Tue, 12 Mar 2002,
Anita Graham wrote:

> > There seem to be several different tracks through the Dalemark books. I
> > noticed last time there was a discussion of them that several people liked
> > Cart and Cwidder and Drowned Ammet, but not Spellcoats and Crown. I love
> > Spellcoats and Crown, and I like Cart&Cwidder and till this week I hadn't
> > even reread Drowned Ammet because I didn't enjoy it the first time.
> > Rereading, and after having read Crown, was a much more enjoyable and
> > fulfilling read... so I second Robyn's recommendation - try rereading!

I love the whole quartet! They were all four presents from my parents, after
their visit in US. I read them all in a couple of days, and i.e. I find the
idea of having a story written on a coat amusing! Think of how many stories
we've missed because they were written upon clothes or carpets?

> I like Cart and Cwidder first and foremost, then Spellcoats, then Crown, and
> Drowned Ammet doesn't do anything for me except for a very few passages
> (like using the names of the gods). They're due for rereading, but I got
> NINE! books for my birthday and I'm only on the fourth :-)

Oh, that beat my bunch of birthday books; I only got seven! (All of them
written by DWJ!!!)

> (And I'm writing one, which also takes surprising amounts of time; two to
> three hours each day)

You must have great discipline then. That's what I'm lacking. I'm also writing,
actually two books in the same time (that's no good, doing that, I know) and
the two hardest things are to keep the discipline up and write every day, AND
to finish... I've a lot of unfinished stories. Sometimes I think of the poor
characters standing frozen in this or that situation just because I can't make
myself continue the writing.

Jenny

=====