Re LOTR totally OT spoilers

Kyla Tornheim kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Thu Mar 14 06:46:31 EST 2002

On Thu, 14 Mar 2002, catherine wright wrote:

>  --- Ven <vendersleighc at yahoo.com> wrote: > > I think
> they will have to grow up a bit as they
> > get involved in far grimmer stuff.
>
> Yes - this happens in the book too - Merry and Pippin
> are younger than both Sam and Frodo (much younger than
> Frodo) and must still be at the latter end of their
> tweens (is that what Tolkien calls it? I think so, but
> mind is fuddled by endless data entry involving the
> Tweenies programmes) and the events of the book are, I
> think, very much a coming-of-age passage rite for them
> (I think they both mature when they are carted off by
> the Orcs at the end of FOTR, and during subsequent
> events - must be something to do with Entdraughts...).
Yes yesyesyesyes. Precisely. (Plus the Entdraughts make them both
noticeably taller.)

I, too, objected to the...flakiness? silly immaturity? of Merry and Pippin
in the movie; but now I realize that it, like many of the changes, were
sort of a shorthand for conveying things that Tolkein took many more pages
to do. So, therefore, it's basically okay.