locking the archives, I guess

deborah deborah at suberic.net
Thu Mar 14 00:30:38 EST 2002

Several people (myself included) have expressed that it's a cool
thing to have searchable archives, but nobody has expressed
strong feelings in favor.  On the other hand, a few people *have*
expressed strong feelings saying we should lock the archives, or
make them non searchable.

I think I'll probably just make it so search engines don't index
them (I don't think we really *want* to keep out dwj fans who
come to the site looking for the list), so unless someone s
yells "dear me NO!" I'll probably do that in the next week or
two.  I might leave the pages with subject lines indexable, but
not the messages themselves.  That is, someone searching
for "Harry Potter" might find a page of links to messages with
the subject (or author!) Harry Potter, but wouldn't find, say,
this message I'm writing now.  Which would probably deal with
most people's security concerns.  Let me know if I'm wrong!

-deborah
deborah at suberic.net
--
The main character is a misogynistic, hermaphroditic,
heavy-drinking, ultra-cynical aardvark. It's an acquired taste.