Names, Was: Hexwood's Goon

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Wed Mar 13 13:53:47 EST 2002

Sallyo said...

> By "young" I mean younger than me. The Sarah/Emma/Kate brigade are
in their
> 30s.

I'm in my 30s.  Come to think of it, there was an Emma in my class at
school, and I know a couple of Sarahs around my age.  Couldn't swear
to any Kates though.

> As for Aoife, that looks like a form of Eve, but most Ozzies would
have
> trouble pronouncing it.

I think it's the Irish form of Eve.  It's pronounced EE-fuh.  Then
again, how many of you could correctly pronounce *my* christened name?
Apart from Ania (who cheats by studying Irish) and Hallie.

I challenge you.  A virtual first ed of the DWJ of your choice to the
first person to provide the correct pronunciation of Grainne.  Ania
and Hallie may not play, but get virtual copies of "The Hounds of the
Morrigan" as consolation prizes. :-)

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--
Dorian E. Gray
israfel at eircom.net

"Where-e'er you find 'the cooling western breeze,'
In the next line, it 'whispers through the trees':
If crystal streams 'with pleasing murmurs creep,'
The reader's threaten'd (not in vain) with 'sleep'"
-Alexander Pope, "Essay on Criticism"