DWJ's Faults [now has Deep Secret spoilers]

Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at ic.ac.uk
Wed Mar 13 05:16:25 EST 2002

> Slightly OT, do you know that there is actually a village in
> Kent called Pratt's Bottom? I wonder what the origin of this place-name
is...
> Ania

Oh, I can do better than that, there are people with surnames like
Ramsbottom and Higginsbotham (pronounced Higginsbottom), mostly in Yorkshire
AFAIK. "Bottom" in this case meaning "valley". (I have heard the usage "on
the tops" meaning on the high moors). Where the surname Pratt came from and
if prattishness is related to it I have no idea.
Jennifer