Do you know these Books?

JOdel at aol.com JOdel at aol.com
Tue Mar 12 22:01:48 EST 2002

In a message dated 3/12/02 2:13:29 PM, owner-dwj-digest at suberic.net writes:

<< 1. At least part of the story has to do with Merlin reawakening in modern
times.  He's very scraggly when he wakes up and doesn't speak English (of
course).

2. The book takes place in England and may well be by a British author,
though that's not certain.

3. There is a scene where one of the young people involved, who is about 12
or 14, uses makeup and clothing to make herself look older so she can get
into the British Museum.

That's what I remember.  Anyone recognize it? >>

Sounds faintly like the first of Susan Cooper's Dark is Rising series. Over
Sea, Under Stone I think. (Or Maybe the other way around) But I believe
Merlin is out and about in that series. No waking necessary. I'm probably
just snagging on reference to the British Museum.

On the other hand, it is more likely to be a similar book called The Sleepers
which I read about the same time, and that I am pretty damn sure was by Jane
Louise Curry. If so, it came out in the '70s. Did they have to break into the
museum to retrieve a bell that they had donated to the collection before they
realized that they needed it?