LOTR - totally OT. Spoilers.

jstallcup at juno.com jstallcup at juno.com
Tue Mar 12 18:52:31 EST 2002

>          SPOILER
>

> That nice little scene where Boromir and the
> hobbits are practising fighting and they end up
> pulling him down and swarming all over him,
> seemed to me to foreshadow what the hobbits will
> be like in battle. In particular Pippin
> hamstringing the chief Nazgul in the battle for
> Gondor. Which makes it a rather more purposeful
> invention, not just a bit of comic relief.

I also liked this scene because it took another step toward humanizing
Boromir, who is rather ... jerky... in the book. And it also helps
explain how they *can* fight later on.  BTW, isn't it Merry who
hamstrings the Nazgul?  Pippin is bouncing around inside, trying to keep
Faramir from getting burned alive...  Well, anyway, in the movie they're
kind of hard to tell apart, at least on a first viewing.  I had less
trouble on the second viewing.  But I didn't like how doofus-y their
characters were--they are so much more dignified in the book. So it will
be interesting to see if in the next two movies they gain maturity or if
they continue to be simple comic relief.

Jackie Stallcup