Re Names was Re Hexwood's Goon

Kyla Tornheim kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Tue Mar 12 16:42:18 EST 2002

On Tue, 12 Mar 2002, Rowland, Jennifer A B wrote:
>  > Sally, I have to ask, what do you think of the
>  > variation, for Sarah/Sally, Sazza? And I wonder
>  > what the next mutation will be?
>
> I've heard Sare (pronounced like mare) and Sares - what is it with nicknames
> ending in S or Z at the moment? I know a Gaz, a Niks (for Nicola), a Nats
> and a Loz (for Laura). (maybe for women's names it's a way to get a nickname
> that isn't a diminutive????)
I was sitting here thinking, "Interesting. *I* don't do any of that." But
then I realized I do--I have a friend named Abigail, who, when she got to
school, started being called Abby. And then some of us started calling her
Abs, and then she decided that her superhero name would be Abs of
Steel. :^)

On Tue, 12 Mar 2002, Sally Odgers wrote:
> This is a little OT but does anyone else, on spotting someone with a
> child sharing the name of his/her own child, ever ask for the sibling
> names? I'm always puzzled when I see a James or a Tegan (my kids'
> names) allied with other names I dislike.  However, I usually find that
> if I like one child's name in a family, I'm most likely to like the
> other(s) too.
Something like that happened to me--but mine was the name used. My older
sister's name is Kendra. At some point, my mother was in a store, and
heard someone calling, "Kendra! Kyla!" and two little girls showed up. It
turned out that their mother was a friend of my kindergarten teacher, and
when she was pregnant with the younger one, my former teacher suggested
"Kyla" as a nice name that went well with Kendra.