Re Names, was re Hexwood's, Goon

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Tue Mar 12 14:29:39 EST 2002

Sallyo said...

> Sounds like the skedule/ shed-ule debate! And the Feb-rue-erry /
Feb - u -
> arry / Febry controversy... er conTROVersy or is that CON-trov-ersy.

FWIW (2 EuroCents, I suppose), I say SHED-yule (because I speak
German, mainly), FEB-ru-arry (because that's how it's spelt), and
CON-trov-ersy.  Now you know. :-)

> And how *does* one say Howell? How-well?  Howl? (Oblig. DWJ ref.)

I say HOW-ell (with a very short, almost schwa, second vowel).  But
I'm not Welsh, so what do I know?

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--
Dorian E. Gray
israfel at eircom.net

"Where-e'er you find 'the cooling western breeze,'
In the next line, it 'whispers through the trees':
If crystal streams 'with pleasing murmurs creep,'
The reader's threaten'd (not in vain) with 'sleep'"
-Alexander Pope, "Essay on Criticism"