Names, Was: Hexwood's Goon

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Tue Mar 12 13:59:32 EST 2002

Sallyo replied to me...

> > old-fashioned name - and is also unpopular because in British and
> > American fiction, it's a common name for the Token Irish
Character.

> It wouldn't have been tokenism in my case. My grandmother Mary was
daughter
> to Bridget (Smith) Bellchambers. So Bridget was my great
grandmother's name.

Oh yes.  It's the Token Irish Character's name precisely *because* it
used to be very common here.  But American and British writers (don't
know about Australian, sorry), don't seem to have kept up with the
times.  (I think last year's top name for girl babies was Aoife.)

> It's "Young' here because it's been out of favour for a couple of
> generations. Like Emily, Amelie and Sarah and Matilda.

I suspect it will take another generation or so to come back into
favour here. :-)

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--
Dorian E. Gray
israfel at eircom.net

"Where-e'er you find 'the cooling western breeze,'
In the next line, it 'whispers through the trees':
If crystal streams 'with pleasing murmurs creep,'
The reader's threaten'd (not in vain) with 'sleep'"
-Alexander Pope, "Essay on Criticism"