names

HSchinske at aol.com HSchinske at aol.com
Tue Mar 12 13:32:50 EST 2002

In a message dated 3/12/2002 5:51:38 AM Pacific Standard Time, Anita Graham
writes:

> I know people who pronounce all of Mary, merry and marry identically -
>  that's what they say, not my interpretation of their accent. I also assume
>  they could include Murray in that list. THe ones I know are from the US
>  midwest.

I agree re Mary, merry, and marry, but NO NO NO to adding Murray! I will
never, no never, be an Amurrican. I never even heard the pervasive "murr"
sound until I was in high school.

Helen, Pacific NW child of two Midwesterners, who did not use "murr"
pronunciations