Do you know these books?

Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at ic.ac.uk
Tue Mar 12 06:42:31 EST 2002

Sallyo wrote:

> She writes two totally different styles. Rather yuck black
> comedies for kids (fantasy) and delightful romances for adults.

But good yuck, surely? The Cloud of Flies, say, or her headless ghosts are
icky, but not nasty. Her baddies are really rotten people, but often not
supernatural.

> Ah yes, I have that one! Not one of her best - I forgot to
> add Mahy to the list of favourite fantasy sf writers today. Her Changeover
is
> one of the very best fantasies I've read. How *did* I forget it?

AOL! Her childrens' stories are lovely as well, The Downhill Crocodile
Whizz, Raging Robots and Unruly Uncles, the one about the girl with the
green ear... (I also love The Catalogue of the Universe, which is YA,
"realistic" but feels like fantasy to me.) A lot of her stuff, including
Changeover, seems to be OOP at the moment, which is truly daft. You can get
it from bookfinder.com quite cheap, but I was looking for a new copy for a
present. Oh well, secondhand is much better than not getting it.
Is she Australian or NZer?
Jennifer