Names, Was: Hexwood's Goon

Robyn Starkey rohina at shaw.ca
Mon Mar 11 22:27:06 EST 2002

>It wouldn't have been tokenism in my case. My grandmother Mary was daughter
>to Bridget (Smith) Bellchambers. So Bridget was my great grandmother's name.
>It's "Young' here because it's been out of favour for a couple of
>generations. Like Emily, Amelie and Sarah and Matilda.

These grandmother names are really making a comeback. We knew two Amelias
and a couple of Lilies in Melbourne. And, for some bizarre reason, Ruby was
popular in Brunswick (two babies we met through mothers' groups were called
this). For me, this last one comes into the category of so bad I have
trouble responding to it when people tell me the child's name. I can't help
but think of that scene in Anne of Green Gables where there is that
terrible joke about the price of a virtuous woman.

Robyn