DWJ's Faults

Paul Andinach pandinac at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Mon Mar 11 22:01:04 EST 2002

On Mon, 11 Mar 2002, Elizabeth Parks wrote:

> To build on a discussion--my friend just im'd me with the line
> "DWJ can't write relationships, I've noticed."  AFter I stopped
> sputtering, I demanded to know _what_ she was talking about: here
> are bits I snipped:
>
> "I've read about eight of the books and every relationship is
> contrived and thrown together in the last quarter of the book."

> Which made me feel sort of like someone had just said that Santa
> Claus wasn't real.  Silly but true.  So I've been thinking--about
> Hexwood especially--and wondered what you all had to say.

I'm reminded of a guy I knew in high school who told me once that he
preferred Piers Anthony to Terry Pratchett because Anthony had subtle,
thoughful stuff in his books and Pratchett's books were just a string
of obvious old jokes...

Which is a roundabout way of saying that it's not DWJ's fault if your
friend is too dumb to recognise subtle character development when she
sees it.

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."