OT Names: Elizabeth

Elizabeth Parks mep3 at st-andrews.ac.uk
Mon Mar 11 19:03:21 EST 2002

Okay, I sort of misquoted my friend earlier, so I went and asked her again
about the name Elizabeth--so here's what she tells me.  Her chosen
translation is "God is an Oath (by which one swears)" and references
Isaiah 19:18, Amos 8:14, and Zephaniah 1:5.  Elizabeth was also the wife
of Aaron in Exodus 6:23.  And then she's got it written in both Greek and
Hebrew for me, but short of wingdings I don't think I can manage that :)

When I left out the 'i' in Elizabeth earlier it was mostly because I was
lazy--I just wanted to make sure that you all knew that my friend Penny is
utterly briliant at all this stuff--what she said about my name was more
along the lines of, there's nothing that makes it god is _my_ oath--which
was the definition given in my "A World of Baby Names" by Teresa Norman.

On Jennifer and Jason: it's actually sort of amazing how much stuff I've
learned from this book--little cultural things, historical facts, etc.
Added to that is the way that people get when they lok at it:  name a kid
apostrophe?  you've gotta be kidding!  Adage?  Oh, that's a keeper.

lizzie