Books from the Library

Tarja Rainio vierran at saunalahti.fi
Mon Mar 11 16:26:33 EST 2002

on 6.3.2002 06:51, Robyn Starkey at rohina at shaw.ca wrote:

> I've read a fair bit, because my best reading chum is definitely a Carter
> fan. I really liked the Bloody Chamber, but some of the other stuff was too
> much magic surrealism for me. I have to be in the mood to cope with full on
> poetic prose like Carter and Jeanette Winterson.

I'm joining this discussion a bit late, but I like both Carter and
Winterson. Carter's Bloody Chamber was the book that sparked my interest in
modern retellings of various fairytales (I'm going to write my Master's on
the subject when I get around to actually doing it...). My introduction to
Carter was a tv film from The Magic Toyshop which looked absolutely magical
when I accidentally stumbled upon it several years ago.

I Winterson too, though I haven't read that much by her. Oranges Are Not the
Only Fruit is my favourite or the books I have read.

Recent discussion on the list has also convinced me that I really must
reread Tanith Lee's Silver Metal Lover.

Tarja