Names, Was: Hexwood's Goon

Dorian E. Gray israfel at eircom.net
Mon Mar 11 15:13:18 EST 2002

Sallyo said...

> Yes, but it's a 17th C pet-form. It follows the Mary/Mal/Mol/Molly,
> Margaret/Mag/Meg/Peg/Peggy form. These days it's regarded as a
separate
> name, anyway. All the Sarahs and Saras I know are called Sarah or
Sara,
> while all the Sallys/Sallees were Christened with that form.

I have a friend who was christened Sarah Elizabeth...she's generally
known as Sally-Beth.  So it does still happen, though not terribly
commonly.

> Marie often becomes MAH-ree (with the "MAH" sliding towards the
nose).

One of my middle names is Marie, pronounced MAH-ree (after one of my
grandmothers).  But everyone else I know pronounces it ma-REE.

> Sallyo. (BTW, my granny wanted to name me "Bridget". I rather wish
it had
> happened. It's a younger name than Sally.)

Interesting.  In this country Bridget is considered a rather
old-fashioned name - and is also unpopular because in British and
American fiction, it's a common name for the Token Irish Character.
Though St. Bridget is still one of our most popular saints.  You'll
find St. Bridget crosses in at least half the homes in the country!

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--
Dorian E. Gray
israfel at eircom.net

"Where-e'er you find 'the cooling western breeze,'
In the next line, it 'whispers through the trees':
If crystal streams 'with pleasing murmurs creep,'
The reader's threaten'd (not in vain) with 'sleep'"
-Alexander Pope, "Essay on Criticism"