Hexwood's Goon (names)

liril at gmx.net liril at gmx.net
Mon Mar 11 13:34:05 EST 2002

Sally, I found your collection of names from the convict ships very interesting.
I did a similar thing (not a real survey, more my impressions) with the names
from 16th century students and burghers from Freiburg.

With the men's the top name was without question Johannes (John) als Joannes,
Johannes, Hans (they sometimes gave their nicknames). I also found Jacob, Georg,
Hieronymus, Balthasar, Christoph, Caspar, Nicolaus. And "odd ones" like
Appolinarius or Bitter (perhaps a form of Peter).

Women's top names include Maria, but Anna seemed even more popular. I also
noticed many Elisabeths, Margarethes, Barbaras and Ursulas.

Bettina
(italian pet form of Elisabeth)