Howl's Moving Castle: Welsh

Corrick, Georgia g.corrick at southampton.gov.uk
Mon Mar 11 04:15:47 EST 2002

As I recall last time we discussed HMC at length people were wondering about
Howell's accent and use of Welsh. I've just read Travels in An Old Tongue by
Pamela Petro wch is a description of the author (an American who went to
university at Lampeter) learning Welsh and travelling around the world
visiting Welsh speakers. It didn't work for me as a travel book but it has
some interesting information about the varieties of Welsh (North Walian,
South Walian, media Welsh, kitchen Welsh) so I wondered if people on the
list might find it interesting. I was planning to Oxfam my copy but will
hand it on to someone else if they put a small donation in their nearest
charity box. Let me know off list if you're interested.

Georgia