Names, Was: Hexwood's Goon

Rebecca Ganetzky rganetzk at oberlin.edu
Mon Mar 11 08:56:28 EST 2002

Sally:
>Aha - Rebecca, which form should one use? I've seen Rebekah and Rebecka, and
>suspect the first is maybe more "correct' than the second, though your form
>is the one I see most often.
>
>Sallyo (I've also seen Sallie, Sallee, Salley)
in Hebrew, it's Rifka/Rivka (the 'v' is more correct -- it's from the
Hebrew letter 'vet'), which I wish I were named.  I threatened to legally
change my name to Rivka, but my parents wouldn't let me, and now I have too
many people far too set on calling me 'Becca'  (If I complain the switch to
'Becky', so I don't complain).  Rebekah is the most dirrect
transliteration.  R = Resh B = Vet (V and B in Hebrew are like hard and
soft Gs -- they're the same letter) K=Koph (technically, we could make it a
'q', which is the more direct transliteration -- another thing I threatened
to do to my name) H = hey, which is actually silent in the Hebrew, as well.
But discussing weird, one of my friends is named Rebecca, but her official,
parentally declared nickname is Beka.  Her parents couldn't agree on
spelling, one assumes...:-)
-Rivqa

Rebecca D. Ganetzky
"...and do not say that a thing is impossible to understand, for eventually
it will be understood."-Rabbi Hillel