Names, Was: Hexwood's Goon

Kyla Tornheim kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Mon Mar 11 08:48:09 EST 2002

On Tue, 12 Mar 2002, Gross Family wrote:

> I totally agree! I dislike the way many Aussies mangle the pronunciation of
> names. Something that annoys me is when names like "Natasha" which as far as
> I know, should be pronounced with the "a"s as in "fun", are pronounced in
> ways (in this case, with the "a" as in "fat") unlike the original.
Huh. Sally made the same comparison with the word "fun" when describing
how to pronounce Chana. And...I pronounce the "a"s in "Natasha" and
"Chana" the same way. But for the life of me, I cannot imagine that sound
in the word "fun." And I have heard Australian accents quite often. It
reminds me a bit of [ObDWJ] my confusion when reading "Dogsbody" the first
time and thinking, "But neither park nor walk ends in 'ork'!"

> Reading what you wrote above, I immediately thought of Maree in DS. To me,
> "Maree" feels like a bastardization of "Marie" (I don't know why), even
> though it's close to the French pronunciation.
How do you all pronounce Maree? I'm currently rereading Deep Secret (all
the discussion whetted my appetite), and I'm still pronouncing it
basically the same way as "Mary," but I like the name "Maree" much
better. I dunno why. Usually I don't like double "e"s; they look kind of
trendy. Or non-intelligent.

--Kyla the occasionally judgemental