Sempitern Walker

Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at ic.ac.uk
Mon Mar 11 07:09:24 EST 2002

Sallyo wrote:

> Pie Jesu
> Qui tollis peccata mundi
> Dona eis requiem
> Angus Dei
> Dona eis requiem sempiternam
>
>  Merciful Jesus
> Who takes away the sins of the world
> Grant them rest
> Lamb of God
> Grant them everlasting rest
>
> It seems that "sempiternam" means "everlasting" which would
> seem to work well for Sempitern Walker in AToTC. Or is something everyone
> knew except me?

Well, I've sung this and it never occurred to me! How clever. (Actually,
come to think of it, I think I've always seen it as "requiem aeternam". But
I knew about "semper fidelis", and so on.) It's a reader-friendly way to put
allusions in a book- like "Seldom End", [1] if you know what it means it
adds interest and if not you don't notice it.
Jennifer
[1] Somebody on the list pointed out that the Bodleian (sp?) library has two
wings, one being the Selden End.