Names, Was: Hexwood's Goon

Gross Family argross at bigpond.net.au
Mon Mar 11 06:55:18 EST 2002

I wrote:

> > One thing that annoys me about most name books is that they aren't
always
> > accurate, as far as I'm concerned. For instance, "Elizabeth" and "Anne"
> > just name two examples) *aren't* really Hebrew names. They are English
> > *forms* of Hebrew names.

Sallyo replied:

> Quite Right. That's why I always quibble about "Sally" as Hebrew - and
> James, which seems to be a form of Jacob.

And "Jacob" itself isn't Hebrew; the original is "Ya'acov".

Isn't "Sally" supposed to be a pet form of "Sarah"? "Sarah", in fact, is
exactly the same as the original Hebrew, except that it isn't pronounced
"Sair-ah" as it sometimes is, but "Sah-rah".

> The original names in Hebrew are, respectively,
> > "Elisheva" and "Chana". The majority of names cited as "Hebrew" names
are
> > likewise only forms of the Hebrew from various other languages.
>
> My sister is an Anne Elizabeth, and I was quite startled (in my early
teens)
> to find that "Ann" and "Anne" are actually the English and French forms
> (respectively) of Latin "Anna". I thought "Hannah" was Hebrew - how does
> that relate to "Chana"?.

I'm not sure, but I think "Hannah" is the original (before "Anne") version
of  the Hebrew "Chana", which is the original Hebrew name. It seems that way
to me because "Hannah" woud seem to be the closest to the original Hebrew
pronunciation--only it's spelled and pronounced slightly differently to suit
English. In the original "Chana", the "Ch" sound is that one you make when
you're trying to get a piece of food out of your throat:-)) --like the
German "ch"; and the "a" sound in "Chana" is "AH" as in "fun", not "A" as in
"hat".

So, I guess "Hannah" is more or less Hebrew, pronouced not quite correctly.
It seems to be an
English attempt at tranliterating "Chana".

> > Ros (who named her daughter "Zoe"
>
> "Life"? Do you pronounce the "e" or not? I've known Zo girls and Zo-ee
> girls.

We do pronounce the "e". It should really have those two dots over the top
of the "o" but we felt it looked too pretentious! :-)

> because it was apparently used by Greek
> > Jews as an equivalent to the Hebrew "Chava", whose English form is
"Eve".
> My
> > son is "Joshua", which is the
> > English form of the Hebrew "Yehoshua". "Joshua" itself is not Hebrew.)
>
> It's the same name as "Jesus", right?

Yes, except that as far as I know, the form used by Jesus, though basically
the same name, was actually "Yeshu"--just another form of "Yehoshua".

> The fun thing about translating names is you can do a free translation and
> come up with something that sounds really good.
>
> Sallyo (AKA Princess Noble Valorous Wealth-Spear.)

I love it!

Ros (Roslyn)...actually my name is Ita Raizel (or Ita Raisa) ; I'm named
after a grandmother. "Raizel" means " little rose", a meaning not unlike my
English name.