Names, Was: Hexwood's Goon

Elizabeth Parks mep3 at st-andrews.ac.uk
Mon Mar 11 06:46:55 EST 2002

Ros:
One thing that annoys me about most name books is that they aren't always
accurate, as far as I'm concerned. For instance, "Elizabeth" and "Anne"
just name two examples) *aren't* really Hebrew names. They are English
*forms* of Hebrew names. The original names in Hebrew are, respectively,
"Elisheva" and "Chana". The majority of names cited as "Hebrew" names are
likewise only forms of the Hebrew from various other languages.

lizzie:

It's actually sort of funny that you mention this--I've got a friend who's
studying Hebrew.  the other day we were talking about names, and I told
her that mine meant "God is my oath."  She blinked and said, "No, it
doesn't."  At which point she broke down the name, with el being god and
sheva (sheba?) as oath, and (I've forgotten the details) declared that
there was nothing that said that god was _my_ oath--the possessive was
wrong.  Which I found quite funny since that's the definition given in
just about every baby name book I've ever looked at (a fair number :) and
it's always annoyed me (having never been what you might call Christian
and at times calling myself athiest).  So I've decided to believe that my
name means 'swearing at god,' because that's a little more accurate in my
case, at least :)

I find it interesting that on Sally's list both Elizabeth and Eliza are
way up there. . . and Isabella, as well, being a Spanish/Portugese version
of the name.  <sigh>  I want an interesting name!

lizzie, who has had more nicknames. . . .