DWJ's faults

Ding, Kylie (KAM.RIC) Kylie.Ding at kline.com
Mon Mar 11 02:50:47 EST 2002

I was chatting to a friend the other day and she said she'd been lurking and
reading the list - not sure whether she's subscribed or just reading the
archives, but she knows who she is so *Kylie waves to anonymous lurking
friend*!

Anyway, this person reads a lot of fantasy and likes DWJ, but in not quite
the fanatic we all are.  Her big criticism of the list was that we are all a
bit worshipful of DWJ - though she said she does understand that is to be
expected on a DWJ fan list!  Other than that she seemed to like us  :)

But just to show here that we can be critical as well as the next fan
mailing list I thought perhaps we could list of a few of DWJ's faults.  I
find it very hard to be constructively critical of any books, but there are
definitely ones that I don't like so much.  A Sudden Wild Magic, A Tale of
Time City and Hexwood are probably the big ones.  In ASWM DWJ didn't seem to
be very comfortable writing for adults, and anything sexual just didn't seem
to fit.  It's a while since I've read this one, but I also remember thinking
it's a pity it didn't focus on one central character.  A Tale of Time City I
read even longer ago and didn't really enjoy.  I should read it again.  I
remember not being too impressed with the plot and thinking it was a pretty
poor attempt at science fiction.  Hexwood I found horribly confusing!  I had
no idea at all what was going on at all the first time I read it, and even
the second time I read it and new the tricky things that were going on I
still got confused.

Oh, and her short stories are mostly pretty ordinary.

Kylie