The confidence connection

JOdel at aol.com JOdel at aol.com
Sun Mar 10 23:08:14 EST 2002

In a message dated 3/10/02 11:21:32 AM, owner-dwj-digest at suberic.net writes:

<< Does DWJ - and other authors, too - have it in for people who have NOT had
a horrible childhood/ are actually good-looking/are naturally confident?  >>

Not really. I think that it's just that the typical viewpoint characters that
DWJ uses always tend to find such self-assured people a bit off-putting. At
least intially. (Think Vivian Smith in Time City meeting the boys for the
first time.) Making the shift to using THAT sort of person as the viewpoint
character is a bit of a stretch, and (I suspect) not having been such a
person herself at that age, isn't really writing from experience.

Also, and not exactly coincidentally, her villians, when she uses villians,
are virtually ALWAYS people like that.