Quasi-Austen

Voicebearer at aol.com Voicebearer at aol.com
Sun Mar 10 17:54:52 EST 2002

In a message dated 3/10/02 1:21:40 GMT Standard Time, Melissa at Proffitt.com
writes:

> I did a little searching one time and found about six or seven authors who
> were writing JA sequels.  Some of them simply had no idea what the voice
> was
> supposed to sound like, but the main problem was in not really
> understanding
> what makes her books interesting.  Though there was one, _Pride &
> Promiscuity: The Lost Sex Scenes of Jane Austen_, that I found a blurb for
> at Amazon.com.  I don't like sex farce, so I'm not planning to read it, but
> the premise that Jane Austen was miffed at her publishers for refusing to
> include the racy scenes she'd actually written was pretty clever.

Melissa might be amused to hear that there is a Punch (of blessed memory)
cartoon on almost this subject, probably unconnected with the book, unless it
was perchance its inspiration. It shows JA (viewed from rear so only visible
as back-of-poke-bonnet, probably a witty reference to her sister Cassandra's
picture of her, where you can't see her face), sitting in front of
publisher's desk; publisher (stout, elderly) is sitting behind desk saying
words to the effect of "We loved the plot, Miss Austen, but all this effing
and blinding will have to go".

I can't be more precise about the wording or the artist just now, as we're in
the midst of a massively complex house-move. The cartoon was given to me and
my husband, David Nokes, a JA biographer, as a wedding-present. If Melissa
would like to know more when things emerge from their packing-cases, my
e-address is above.

Marie