_The Thief_, with spoilers galore--extra long for your enjoyment

Anita Graham amgraham at cygnus.uwa.edu.au
Sun Mar 10 09:13:02 EST 2002

Quoting noone, but asking and answering questions as they occur to me:

I had the feeling that this was a "history" of the sort that Deep Secret
is - a telling of the story for later records. (See.. a DWJ reference right
off).

The Agatha Christie book is "The Murder of Roger Ackroyd"

How old is Gen, really? I think the emphasis on his age by the Queen of
Attolia can reflect the aging her hard life has left on her. Also as an
older woman now, I do see young men (and women for that matter) as special -
youth's a stuff will not endure. Like the amphora, once Gen's
youth/wholeness/love is broken, it will be gone.

Melissa, have you read "The Family Tree" by Sherri Tepper? I've read your
explanations of "cheating" meaning that the author had to use a particular
technique to achieve her ends. Did Tepper do the same in "The Family Tree"?
Because of the "surprise" in the book, it bears rereading just to discover
how she did it. I reread "The Thief" and found all the subtle pointers, and
enjoyed them.  QofA was different because it's not a mystery, but a romance.
Still it was worth rereading...
(I did get most of the subtle points in QofA first time round, apart from
one of the earring references)

Apropos of the mention of Dorothy Dunnet (who I haven't read), will this
mean that Turner's next book will have us reading so carefully for clues and
misdirections that we don't enjoy the story?

Anita... sure there was more she was going to say.

Maybe it was just the mention of multiple authors: DWJ, Agatha Christie,
Sherri Tepper, Dorothy Dunnett and Heyer (a previous post).