Archives was Deep Secret Fairytales

Ven vendersleighc at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 9 20:24:12 EST 2002

Deborah wrote

On Fri, 1 Mar 2002 Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk
wrote:
|Sally wrote:
|
|> Speaking of the Archives, posts show up in the
google search. So, <vbg> we
|> better be careful what we say! Say I said
something rude about an author or
|> editor and someone else did a "search" for
that author or editor... my
|> comment would probably show up in the hits.
Scary, eh.

|I think it's only fair to say, this has
happened.  I was the unfortunate to
|whose comment the author (a relative of mine)
objected.  Afaict this has been
|sorted out now, with the author's name deleted
from a couple of items in the
|archive.

We can make the archives so they won't show up in
responsible
search engines, if that's what people want.
Sometimes I think
it's kind of nifty (someone searching for Harry
Potter might get
a link to our discussion of it) but Sally and
Philip are right,
it means we have to be careful.  So if people
have strong
feelings one way or the other, let me know.

Beenn meaning to reply to this for ages.
I always try to bear in mind that this is a
public forum and I could be overheard. And, while
I don't like to think of an author being upset by
a careless remark of mine, anyone searching on
their own name surely doesn't expect to hear only
good of themselves. Also when authors come up
it's usually in the context that somebody
recomends them and somebody else might mention
that they disagree and so on. There are, after
all, far snider forums they could chance on......

=====
Ven

.......... almost everyone is boring some kind of reader
or other.

Pamela Dean Dyer-Bennet