_The Thief_, with spoilers galore--extra long for your enjoyment

Fri Mar 8 19:26:45 EST 2002

On Sat, 9 Mar 2002 02:25:32 +1100, Gross Family wrote:

>I've now got _The Queen of Attolia_ and will be reading it next, but a
>review I read somewhere had a spoiler in it that distressed me...
>

>SPOILER ALERT...

>Seems funny to have a spoiler alert when I haven't even read the book
>myself, but the review mentioned that Gen has his hand cut off by the Queen
>of Attolia, and this made me wonder if I wouldn't like the book. I *hate* it
>when reviewers do this...

Oooh, I really hate that.  Just as much as I hate it when cover blurbs give
away too much of the plot.

It depends on why you think this event might make you hate the book.  It
happens in a creepy but not overly graphic way--this *is* YA fiction, after
all--so if you don't like excessive bloodshed, this doesn't qualify.  If
it's because you don't want to see your favorite character hurt, well,
that's a problem, but the point is really to show who Eugenides becomes when
he can't rely on traditional thieving skills any more.  Sort of...what makes
him a thief is in his head, not in his hands.

So, I don't know.  I think you should just go read it.  Annoying as that
spoiler is, it happens very early in the book, so after the first thirty
pages or so it'll be all fresh and new.

Melissa Proffitt