Guy Gavriel Kay

Fri Mar 8 19:17:35 EST 2002

On Fri, 08 Mar 2002 18:55:16 -0500, Ian W. Riddell wrote:

>Duncan I haven't read. Do you have a suggestion for a first book?

Try the Seventh Sword books:  _The Reluctant Swordsman_ is the first one,
then _The Coming of Wisdom_ and _The Destiny of the Sword_.  (Somehow those
all look wrong, but I know they're right).  They're about a guy who dies in
our world and is reborn in another world--in the body of a magnificent
barbarian swordsman with a Nasty Past.  You'd think it would be male
wish-fulfilment, and I suppose there is that element, but in general it's
very good.  He writes a lot of very different things, so it's hard to say
whether you'll like ALL his books based on one series.  Still, one must
start somewhere.

Melissa Proffitt