DWJ: Howl's Moving Castle question (spoilers)

Fri Mar 8 19:13:14 EST 2002

On Fri, 8 Mar 2002 18:41:06 gmt, Robert Baker-Self wrote:

>>One thing that keeps shocking me everytime I reread
>>the book is that Howl is always off chasing girls.  I
>>just don't think of him as the Lothario type; I keep
>>thinking that he must be terribly misunderstood.  Yes,
>>he's flaky and flashy and vain, but I don't see what
>>he'd want from the girls. Does this come from having
>>no heart or is he just making up for lost time?
>>(Michael commented on how he was quite vain for a
>>plain man with mud-colored hair.)
>
>Speaking as someone who's been known to do this (I identify with Howl quite
>strongly) I'll have a shot at what I think. It's because he's not in love.
>
>There's a kind of magic about getting to know someone well, and in the tension
>that's there when you both know something is going to happen, but it just hasn't
>yet. And that can be, occasionally, a substitute for real love. But the trouble
>is, when something does happen...the magic goes.
>You don't mistake it when the real magic happens, though...

Reminds me of the movie _High Fidelity_, with John Cusack....

>A thought...given that Calcifer had Howl's heart... did Calcifer fall in love
>with Sophie a little, as well?

Interesting idea.  He'd like her to think he's only interested in her
ability to talk life into things, but I wonder if it's not something more
personal as well.

Melissa Proffitt