Guy Gavriel Kay

Ian W. Riddell iwr77 at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 8 18:55:16 EST 2002

>From: Ven <vendersleighc at yahoo.com>
>To: dwj at suberic.net
>Subject: Guy Gavriel Kay
>Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 17:02:10 -0800 (PST)
>
>Iain wrote,
>
>On Kay:
>
>I adore Kay. I will admit to feeling some
>national pride because he's a
>Canuck like me.
>
>Hi Iain what do you think of De Lint and Dave
>Duncan? (is Duncan Canadian or does he just live
>there?).

I read a lot of De Lint a few years ago but I'm woefully behind. I liked it.
I especially liked how important music and making music were in his cosmos.

Duncan I haven't read. Do you have a suggestion for a first book?

>Iain
>I really loved the Fionavar Tapestry and Lions of
>al-Rassan. I have enjoyed all of his books that
>I've read. I will admit to not reading them very
>critically.
>
>I do sometimes find his foreshadowing a little
>heavy handed.
>
>I find he plays the guess who has just come
>in/attacked someone/died trick a bit too often.
>
>  But I find the worlds he creates fascinating and
>I love his marriage of social/religious history
>(from our world) with his own take on
>relationships and the spirit world.
>
>I was starting to wish he would find a new story
>generation trick, but the Sarantium books took
>what he is doing onto a new level, or maybe to a
>deeper level, which makes his persistance
>worthwhile..

It took me a little while (and 2 starts) to get into the Sarantium books,
but by the end I was wishing for more.

I then read Lions of al Rassan and reveled in it. What a wonderful,
wonderful book.

blessings

widdy